Preserved Lemons

I think I’ve mentioned a couple times now how many lemons I harvested.  That, and people keep giving me grocery bags of citrus.  Right now, I have two bags of grapefruit, a bag of pommelos, a bag of oranges, a bag of lemons, and a bag of tangelos sitting on my counter.  I hate to see food (especially produce) go to waste.  So when people offer it up, I always bring it home.  The tricky part is making sure it all gets used before it goes bad.

When I first looked in to a way of making citrus last longer, I came across Preserved Lemons.  I had never heard of them.  I guess they are huge in Morocco and some other middle eastern/north African dishes.  Preserved Lemons used one of the oldest preservation methods around.  Salt.

Preserved Lemons:

• Lemons
  • Salt
  • Mason jars

Select your lemons.  I find the smaller ones are great for this.  Wash the exterior.

Cut each lemon down from the top, but not all the way through.  Then make a 2nd perpendicular cut, again, not all the way through.

Hold the lemon, slice side up, in the palm of your hand.  Use your fingers to open the cuts slightly.  then pour Kosher salt into the lemon.  Use your hand to hold the salt int he cuts of the lemon.  This is a good time to find all the cuts, nicks, hangnails, and splinters that are in your hand.

Then jam, and I mean JAM the lemons into your mason jar.  Really push em down in there. The juice will start to come out, as you push, and as the salt draws it out.  That’s good.  Keep slicing, salting, and pushing your lemons into the jar.  You need the lemon juice to cover the top of the last lemon you can possibly squeeze in there.  You may need to pour some juice off, or add some. (I had to pour some off).  Just pack those little guys in there until you can.  See the first pic up top?  That’s what it should look like.

Close the jar, and put it in a cool place.  I used one of my cupboards.  Flip it on its lid after the first day.  Then back right side up.  Continue flipping every day for a week.  After one week, move it to the fridge.  Continue to flip for another week.  Now you can start using them.

These guys are salt magnets.  I couldn’t imagine eating them the way they are.  From what I’ve learned, you cut the flesh out of the lemon and discard it.  These are not for sweet dessert recipes that call for zest.  Only savory dishes.

Using a sharp knife, slice off as much of the pith as you can.  This leaves you a very flavorful rind.  I swear the preserved zest is even lemonnier than regular zest.  Rinse off the rind to get rid of any residual salt.

These lemons should last a lifetime.  It’s a great way to extend some of your citrus harvest, to have that great lemony flavor in the off-season without buying imported, pesticide laden, lemons.  There are a ton of recipes out there that call for preserved lemons.  Give the old google machine a try and taste some new flavors a try.

About these ads

12 Responses to “Preserved Lemons”

1. 1 lynn March 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I’m intrigued by these preserved lemons. Thanks for giving some insight in how you’d use them :) We have a Meyer lemon tree and I have had a grand time the last couple of years making homemade lemonades, lemon salad dressings, lemon baked goods, etc. etc. I think my favorite has been lemon curd.

2. 2 boom222 September 10, 2014 at 7:33 pm

ฉันมี ฉันได้ รับการ ท่อง ออนไลน์ กว่า
    ชั่วโมง เมื่อเร็ว ๆ นี้ ,
    แต่ พบ ค้นพบ ใด ๆ ที่น่าสนใจ ความสนใจ บทความ เช่นคุณ มันเป็น สวยงาม ราคา เพียงพอ สำหรับฉัน ใน มุมมองของฉัน ถ้าทุก เว็บมาสเตอร์ เจ้าของเว็บไซต์ ทำ เพียงขวา เนื้อหา เป็น คุณอาจ ได้ สุทธิ จะ
    มาก มีประโยชน์ กว่าที่เคย .

3. 3 get soundcloud plays September 11, 2014 at 8:20 am

It’s the best time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy.
    I have read this put up and if I may I want to suggest you
    few interesting issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could
    write next articles relating to this article. I want to read more things about
    it!

4. 4 buy youtube Views September 15, 2014 at 12:39 am

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you
    amend your site, how can i subscribe for a
    blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal.

I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

5. 5 Click Through The Up Coming Auravita Discount Code September 16, 2014 at 7:23 am

This is very interesting, You are an excessively professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and sit up for seeking extra of your wonderful post.
    Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

6. 6 website art director September 18, 2014 at 4:20 am

If you want to get much from this paragraph then you have to apply these techniques to
    your won website.

7. 7 ราคาทอง September 24, 2014 at 11:55 am

Gold bracelet are one of the important portiions of jewelry for every woman. Known as the gold bangle, assuredly.
    Owner, gold bracelet, gold along 96.5%, accompanying a standard weight ranging from 3 to 25 satang half bath great price am up and down,
    as the value of gold on the market each day.
    Gold bangle are a sarong generous of jewelry, gold value, so
    itt depends on the figureat, because the price is itn the
    section of kamnet.

8. 8 ราคาทองคำ October 2, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Gold bracelet is one of the hemportant parts of jewelry for every woman. Known as the gold bangle, unquestionably.
    Possessor, gold bracelet, gold accompanying 96.5%, with a tableard iight fluctuating from 3 to 25 satang half bath great price is up and down, as the price of gold on the stores
    each day. Gold anklet are a sarong compassionate of jewelry, gold value, so het depends on the shapeat, because the charge am in the
    section of kamnet.

9. 9 งานคนท้อง October 3, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hello there, I believe your blog could be having browser
    compatibility issues. Whenever I look at your website in Safari,
    it looks fine however, if opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues.
    I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Aside from that, great blog!

10. 10 มาแรง October 7, 2014 at 3:32 am

My relatives every time say that I am wasting
    my time here at web, however I know I am getting know-how daily by reading thes nice articles
    or reviews.

11. 11 buy soundcloud plays October 25, 2014 at 12:07 am

With the presence of Zappar, audience members will have the opportunity
    to access visual art related to the performances through
    the Zappar app, allowing individuals to see exclusive animations and light shows as
    the music plays, as well as being able to buy Toy Bombs songs as they are being played onstage.
    It is a great moment for Los Angeles when a talented and well-loved indie band like Toy Bombs comes home to perform.
    All you need is likes, clients, buddies, ratings,
    supporters, followers, subscribers and normal sights
    from actual people.

1. 1 Shank You Very Much | Mason Jars and Mixing Bowls Trackback on May 30, 2013 at 2:04 am