Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce

My wife makes a killer cranberry sauce. The recipe is an amalgam of various recipes that she’s tried or read over the last couple years. We’ve served this the last two Thanksgivings, and it’s a complete hit.

After the Thanksgiving and Christmas season cranberries start going on sale as vendors just want to offload what they have left. Dess found them on sale for $1.49 a bag (half of what they were the week before Thanksgiving) and grabbed 7 of them.

Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce:
Multiplied x 7 for this recipe

1 – 12oz bag of Cranberries
3/4 C Red Wine (Cabernet)
1/4 C Triple Sec
1 C Brown Sugar
1/2 t Ground Ginger
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
1/4 t Allspice Berries
2 T Candied Ginger (chopped)
1 T Orange Zest
1 Cinnamon Stick

Combine the wine, Triple Sec, and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the cranberries.

Place the Cinnamon stick and the Allspice Berries in cheesecloth and tie it off.

Add the spice bundle to the cranberries and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until the cranberries pop and the liquid thickens. Sometimes we’re left with a couple dozen unpopped cranberries floating on top, and that’s fine.

Remove the spice bundle, stir in the crystalized ginger, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and the orange zest.

Let the mixture simmer another 2-3 minutes and then ladle in to jars.

Lets talk about jars for a seconds. A friend asked me to touch on preparing jars, reusing jars, cleaning jars, etc. When I open the case I take the jars out and remove the lids and rings. The jars get washed, by hand or in a dishwasher. the rings get set aside. Then, before I start my recipe, I fill my canning pot/pressure cooker with water and place the jars in there. As the water heats to boil, the jars heat with it. I let the jars boil until I’m ready to start filling them. I also throw my ladle and funnel in the mix too.

When I’m ready I pull the jars out (slowly and carefully, since they are full of boiling water) and gently tip out the water back in to the pot. I place the lids in a bowl and use the water from the 1st jar I remove to cover the lids with now, just under boiling temp water. This warms the adhesive compound on the lids and gets a better seal going.

Fill the jars with the sauce and leave 1/2″ head space. Put the lids and rings on and finger tighten the rings. Remember, air needs to escape from the jar to form the eventual vacuum seal needed for preservation.

Place the filled jars in your water bath canner, making sure that the jars have at least 2 inches of water covering them. Process for 15 minutes for pints.

Using 7 bags of cranberries this made 11 pints of sauce. And now we can enjoy cranberry sauce year round.

About these ads

12 Responses to “Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce”

1. 1 Alexander August 18, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Step in the house, but many seem puppy training to spend a
    little for your own home.

2. 2 funny pranks compilation 2014 August 20, 2014 at 4:21 am

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would
    really make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks a lot

3. 3 kenari yorkshire August 22, 2014 at 2:32 am

Superb blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a
    little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with
    a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are
    so many choices out there that I’m completely confused ..

Any suggestions? Many thanks!, http://goo.gl/URYfi9

4. 4 funny animal voice overs August 22, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Highly energetic blog, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?, http://goo.gl/cVgi7t

5. 5 rafaeeni.buzznet.com August 23, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Remarkable things here. I’m very happy to look your article.

Thank you a lot and I’m taking a look forward to contact you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

6. 7 Parquet floor August 25, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Hello friends, how is the whole thing, and what you would like to say about this article, in my view its really amazimg in support oof me.

7. 8 hijab tutorial paris segi empat simple August 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. Such clever work and
    reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll.,

8. 9 jejak paranormal ki prana lewu full movie August 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

It’s great that you are getting thoughts from this paragraph as
    well as from our discussion made at this place., http://goo.gl/JXvAKx

9. 10 ketone Ultra review August 31, 2014 at 5:05 am

Hello everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at
    this web site, and post is genuinely fruitful
    in support of me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.

10. 11 trezviykharkov.org.ua August 31, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Hey There. I discovered your weblog the usage
    of msn. This is a really neatly written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.

Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.

1. 1 Of Cranberries and Apples « Mason Jars and Mixing Bowls Trackback on November 28, 2012 at 2:27 am