Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce

My wife makes a killer cranberry sauce. The recipe is an amalgam of various recipes that she’s tried or read over the last couple years. We’ve served this the last two Thanksgivings, and it’s a complete hit.

After the Thanksgiving and Christmas season cranberries start going on sale as vendors just want to offload what they have left. Dess found them on sale for $1.49 a bag (half of what they were the week before Thanksgiving) and grabbed 7 of them.

Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce:
Multiplied x 7 for this recipe

1 – 12oz bag of Cranberries
3/4 C Red Wine (Cabernet)
1/4 C Triple Sec
1 C Brown Sugar
1/2 t Ground Ginger
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
1/4 t Allspice Berries
2 T Candied Ginger (chopped)
1 T Orange Zest
1 Cinnamon Stick

Combine the wine, Triple Sec, and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the cranberries.

Place the Cinnamon stick and the Allspice Berries in cheesecloth and tie it off.

Add the spice bundle to the cranberries and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until the cranberries pop and the liquid thickens. Sometimes we’re left with a couple dozen unpopped cranberries floating on top, and that’s fine.

Remove the spice bundle, stir in the crystalized ginger, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and the orange zest.

Let the mixture simmer another 2-3 minutes and then ladle in to jars.

Lets talk about jars for a seconds. A friend asked me to touch on preparing jars, reusing jars, cleaning jars, etc. When I open the case I take the jars out and remove the lids and rings. The jars get washed, by hand or in a dishwasher. the rings get set aside. Then, before I start my recipe, I fill my canning pot/pressure cooker with water and place the jars in there. As the water heats to boil, the jars heat with it. I let the jars boil until I’m ready to start filling them. I also throw my ladle and funnel in the mix too.

When I’m ready I pull the jars out (slowly and carefully, since they are full of boiling water) and gently tip out the water back in to the pot. I place the lids in a bowl and use the water from the 1st jar I remove to cover the lids with now, just under boiling temp water. This warms the adhesive compound on the lids and gets a better seal going.

Fill the jars with the sauce and leave 1/2″ head space. Put the lids and rings on and finger tighten the rings. Remember, air needs to escape from the jar to form the eventual vacuum seal needed for preservation.

Place the filled jars in your water bath canner, making sure that the jars have at least 2 inches of water covering them. Process for 15 minutes for pints.

Using 7 bags of cranberries this made 11 pints of sauce. And now we can enjoy cranberry sauce year round.

About these ads

8 Responses to “Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce”

1. 1 http://www.Finecooking.Com July 24, 2014 at 2:29 am

This website truly has all of the info I needed
    about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

2. 2 paleo meal plans July 25, 2014 at 12:18 am

Hi mates, how is the whole thing, andd wjat yoou desire to sayy
    regarding this article, in my view its in fact remarkable
    for me.

3. 3 how do you make an instagram year in Review 2013 July 26, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I don’t leave many comments, however i did a few
    searching and wound up here Odessa’s Cranberry Sauce |
    Mason Jars and Mixing Bowls. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if
    you tend not to mind. Could it be just me or does it look like some of the comments come across like coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on other social sites,
    I’d like to keep up with everything fresh you have
    to post. Would you make a list of all of your community sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

4. 4 adult Movie reviews July 28, 2014 at 7:03 am

I believe that is one of the such a lot important info for me.
    And i am happy studying your article. However want to statement on some
    basic things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is truly great :
    D. Good process, cheers

5. 5 click for source July 28, 2014 at 11:05 am

continuously i used to read smaller articles which also
    clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am
    reading here.

6. 6 http://www.wojtplast.pl/ July 29, 2014 at 1:57 am

Hi there everyone, it’s my first visit at this website, and piece of writing is really
    fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these articles.

1. 1 Of Cranberries and Apples « Mason Jars and Mixing Bowls Trackback on November 28, 2012 at 2:27 am
  2. 2 click here Trackback on July 24, 2014 at 9:58 pm