Canning Pumpkin and Winter Squash

One of the great things about holidays with specific foods is that they go on sale as soon as the holiday is over. That’s prime purchasing time for canners. With Halloween over and Thanksgiving rapidly approaching, retailers are desperate to unload their inventory of pumpkins. I even saw a post on line of a grocer that was giving then away to avoid filling their dumpsters.

20121114-103309.jpg
Canning Pumpkin or Winter Squash
Pumpkins or Squash
Water

I started by placing my pumpkin on its side and then smacking the stem causing it to break off at the base. Using a large knife, and keeping your fingers out of the way, slice the pumpkin in half along the stem.

20121114-103609.jpgUse a spoon and scrape out the seeds and membrane from inside.

20121114-103701.jpgCut each half in half again.

Pumpkin in a low acid vegetable and can not be water bath processed. It’s not possible. Don’t try it. It has to be processed in a pressure canner. And, you can not purée it like you buy in the store. It has to be cubed. Puréed pumpkin is too dense for the heat of a home canner to penetrate as deep as it needs to. So the bad news is you’ll need to have or buy a pressure canner bathe good news that pressure cookers are awesome and useful in many ways. Since you need a pressure cooker I’m going to include my method of peeling which includes a pressure cooker. There are other ways to do this (peeling, roasting, steaming) but I’m sticking to one method because it was so easy.

Place your grate/rack in the bottom of your pressure cooker. Add water to just barely touch the grate. Start layering your pumpkin quarters in the pot. I was able to fit 4 pie pumpkins (16 quarters) in my Presto 23qt at a time. Put your lid on and lock it. But don’t cap the vent. Turn your heat on high. As soon as steam comes out of the vent put your weight on. Set a timer for 10 minutes. Keep an eye in the pressure, but mine never crossed 12. After ten minutes remove the pot from the heat. (*NEVER DO THIS IF YOU ARE PROCESSING JARS*) Put your canner in the sink and slowly start running water over it. As it starts to cool you can j crease the water. This rapidly cools the pot and makes the pressure drop. Please be familiar with your pressure canner and how it works. Don’t deviate from the manufacturer’s guidelines. After the pressure drop to zero carefully remove the weight. If its done venting entirely, carefully remove the lid. Steam will escape. Be cautious.

Inside you will find perfectly cooked pumpkin.

20121114-105432.jpgI shouldn’t even have to say this, but the pumpkin is hot. Really hot. Really really hot. So use spatulas, tongs, spoons, and or pot holders to remove the segments. When you do, you’ll find that the skin sloughs right off the flesh.

20121114-105719.jpgThe flesh should be softened, but firm enough to hold its shape. The first batch I made I let go slightly long because I was nervous. The flesh got a bit over done and was very soft. Again, you don’t want purée, you want cubes. A bit under done is better than a bit over since you’ll be cooking it another 75 minutes shortly.

Using a large knife cut the pumpkin in to approximate 1″ cubes. I used a large knife to avoid having to hold the hot pumpkin with my other hand.

20121114-110240.jpgUse you ladle and funnel and fill your jars to the 1″ headspace. Then top with boiling water. A tea pot is great here, or just a large pot if boiling water.

20121114-110455.jpgYou can see which jar had the softer pumpkin and which had the firmer. As long as it doesn’t purée you’re fine. The water will carry the heat between the cubes.

20121114-110613.jpgClean lids, band, finger tight. Rinse out your pressure canned and add the required amount if water. Usually only a few inches. Add your jars and process according to the guidelines below:

20121114-111210.jpgAfter the proper time turn off the heat and walk away. Do not move, cool, or attempt to open the canner. Once the pressure drops to zero, remove the weight. Once the inside is ventilated remove the lid. Allow the jars to sit for another 5 minutes or so to acclimate to the cooler temp. This entire process removes the risk of syphoning.

Remove the jars and place on a towel or wood cutting board. I love pressure canned items because they continue to boil well after removal. You can see the bubbles here.

20121114-111553.jpgyour finished product will be slightly darker and more on the brown end of the burnt orange spectrum.

20121114-111654.jpg

20121114-111708.jpgsubstitute this pumpkin for any fresh or canned pumpkin recipes. I haven’t tried using it in pumpkin bread that calls for greatest fresh pumpkin yet, but I plan to. The first time I used it I found it holds a lot of water. Next time I’ll drain it in a colander before using.

Now you can enjoy pumpkin pie or cookies, bread or purée in March or any other time you feel like it.

Happy canning.

About these ads

26 Responses to “Canning Pumpkin and Winter Squash”

1. 1 Cooking Madly November 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm

No peeling? Oh wow, if only I’d known about this technique two weeks ago, it would have saved me SO much time. I think I might have to do even MORE pumpkin, just to try this out…

2. 2 Home Seasons November 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

These would make great presents for the Fall and winter!

3. 3 Vicki Puller October 7, 2013 at 4:35 pm

This is great. A couple of questions, how big of a pumpkin did you use? and can you do this to hubbard, yellow crookneck, and zuchinni squash as well?

• 4 masonjarsandmixingbowls October 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Crookneck and Zucchini are summer squash. Per the USDA you should not can them. However, the reason is that results are “inconclusive.” Lots of people do. I’ll leave it at that ;)

These pumpkins were pie pumpkins, slightly smaller than a soccer ball. This process works for any winter squash, like acorn, butternut, etc.

4. 5 Karen August 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Thank you thank you thank you. I have been looking for an easy way to do this since this is my first time. Now I know I will be able to accomplish the difficult task of peeling my pumpkins!

5. 6 storage businesses for sale victoria September 11, 2014 at 12:35 am

While you are boxing up your possessions, try to let everyone know how much you appreciate their help.
    This article has been flagged as spam, if you think this is an error please contact us.
    • Must know how to assess injury risks that comes with hazardous manual handling.

6. 7 Accelerated Fat loss September 11, 2014 at 11:11 pm

With the HCG Drops, the day of finally fitting into a pair of skinny jeans will not be a dream after all.
    And likewise, simply eating Muscle Builder Foods And doing Bodybuilding Workouts won’t add inches
    to your chest, arms, and shoulders, if you aren’t
    regularly pumping iron. Bones and nails are also strengthened, which is an important factor that effects
    more than your appearance.

7. 8 unclebuck September 14, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Yes! Finally someone writes about smart tips.

8. 9 Reina September 15, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I’m not sure why but this website is loading very slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my
    end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

9. 10 tan September 19, 2014 at 6:05 pm

One of the leading results of extended hours of being underneath the intense burning heat of the sun is the growth and development of Cancer.
    One should remember that perspiration will cause uneven tanning.
    Acting as a tan accelerator these lotions are great for achieving the perfect
    tan.

10. 11 http://nostalliance.fr/ September 20, 2014 at 9:33 am

I was suggested this web site via my cousin. I am now not sure
    whether this publish is written by him as nobody else recognize such
    distyinctive about my trouble. You aare incredible!
    Thank you!

11. 12 social media marketing for dummies pdf September 20, 2014 at 3:44 pm

It is not a senior editor or a human resource manager but people that decide what to read and what to watch.
    She has successfully managed hundreds of company and product launches and public relations campaigns, beginning with the first digital network launch, the first
    commercial wireless phone and the first wireless data applications.
    In all this, Press Release distribution service is great way to enhance your
    website’s visibility.

12. 13 Finlay September 20, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on amazing
    21st birthday. Regards

13. 14 mobile spray tanning kits September 21, 2014 at 2:58 am

This artificial fragrance, alcohols will create pain and skin irritation. In order
    to get a rich and spotless tan while keeping your skin smooth and glowing, it is necessary to use the best quality tanning products.

That way, you will never be out of the color you like if they happen to
    run out of it at the local drugstore or beauty center.

14. 15 hcg weight loss vancouver September 21, 2014 at 3:27 am

It also lets you add multiple portion sizes
    for your own foods. The firm bases any discount about the cost of paying for
    several plastic bottles of the 15-day give.
    The HCG diet is supposed to be a solution to permanent weight
    loss where it does not come back given reasonable diet and exercise.

15. 16 Instagram Followers September 21, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the challenges.
    It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Thanks for sharing!

16. 17 nose job in thailand September 23, 2014 at 12:52 am

But there are also those who are not amenable to this
    kind of treatment such as Dr. The rhinoplasty surgeons India enhance the nose by reshaping it by using components like cuboids, gristle (fibrous) and
    a couple of fashioned elements as well. It is normal to have slight bruising and
    swelling for about ten days.

17. 18 hcg weight loss free trial September 23, 2014 at 2:59 am

Thus, when the HCG diet info was released today, I once more sharpened my pencil to take notes.
    , the FDA banned the selling of HCG even the homeopathic
    model. Oz is that HCG is an approved fertility medication by the Food and Drug Administration.

18. 19 Line Let’s Get Rich Hack Items September 23, 2014 at 9:38 am

If some one wants expert view regarding blogging after that i propose him/her to pay a quick visit this weblog, Keep up the pleasant job.

19. 20 laser hair treatment for hair loss does it work September 23, 2014 at 9:48 am

This herbal solution will help you achieve picture perfect hair once more.
    Eventually this can cause hair thinning or patches of bald spots.
    Refrain or limit the amount of heat applied to your hair through the use of
    blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners, etc.

20. 21 test September 24, 2014 at 8:19 pm

You might be a classic exceptional site owner. The website launching speed can be awesome.. test It sort of feels that you will be accomplishing virtually any exceptional tip. Also, The subject matter tend to be mona lisa. you’ve done an admirable job about this issue!

21. 22 Ophelia September 27, 2014 at 5:22 am

great issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
    What may you suggest about your post that you simply made a few days in the
    past? Any positive?

22. 23 diy best security systems for homes October 1, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

23. 24 recomposition October 3, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Were a number of volunteers and also opening up a completely new design in our group. Your website offered us all along with useful info so that you can paintings on. You might have conducted the powerful work plus all of our full collection will probably be pleased to you recomposition.

24. 25 Morgan November 10, 2014 at 9:32 pm

What’s up everybody, here every one is sharing
    these kinds of experience, therefore it’s pleasant to read this weblog, and I used to
    visit this web site daily.

1. 1 Focus On: Seasonal Craft & DIY Blogs | The Daily Post Trackback on November 20, 2012 at 9:03 am