The Holy Trinity Of Bloody Mary Toppers

Update: This recipe won a 1st place Blue Ribbon at the 2013 Arizona State Fair in the Pickles, Relishes, and Spiced Fruits category.

After I made my Dilly Beans I got some feedback. “Put them in a Bloody Mary” they said. “The spicier the better” they said. “And add some pickled asparagus and pickled Brussels sprouts too!”

I thought this would make a wonderful idea to bring to a holiday party. Some mixer, vodka, and a variety of pickled vegetables and olives as toppers. But the idea of toting several quart jars around with me in December wasn’t appealing. Then it hit me. Why not do them in the same jar?

I started reading the NCHFP’s directions on pickling each of the individual vegetables. The real difference was that asparagus and brussels sprouts are processed for 10 minutes whereas the beans are only processed for 5. So I did some asking around and found someone who said that they processed their dilly beans for 10 minutes and they still come out crunchy. And with that was born the idea for the holy trinity of Bloody Mary toppers. But the idea of those three things hanging out in a jar together seemed awfully green to me. So while I was at the store I picked up those miniature red, orange, and yellow peppers as well as purple pearl onions.

20121201-213911.jpg
Water
Dill
Black Peppercorns
Mustard Seed
Dried Red Chiles
Red Pepper Flake

I decided to go with the same brine and seasonings as my Dilly Bean recipe, except that I also add mustard seed to the jars.

Let’s start with the Brussels sprouts. First off, did you know they grow like this?

20121201-214458.jpg I never really thought about or imagined what Brussel sprouts look like as they grow, but I guess I thought it was more like tiny cabbages coming out of the ground. Turns out they grow on gigantic stalks that look like DNA. My wife picked up two of these stalks to use for Thanksgiving. It turns out that was twice as much as we needed so we had one left for this project. She told me ahead of time that she’d started by cutting the little sprouts off of the stalk. However she quickly discovered that simply snapping them off was much quicker and more efficient. So if you buy your sprouts like this, simply start at the bottom and snap them off, working your way around to the top.

20121201-214745.jpg These bad boys are going to be cut, blanched, boiled in brine, and then sitting in a jar for who knows how long. So you want healthy, tight, clean little sprouts. I started by trimming the stem just a little bit and then pulling off any leaves that weren’t firmly wrapped around the sprout or had blemishes. Then I sorted them into two piles, big and small. I cut all the big ones in half so that their total size were about equal.

20121201-215040.jpg Get a pot of water boiling and drop your sprouts in. Set a timer for four minutes. Blanching helps start the cooking process to make them tender, improves the color, and can help kill harmful bacteria. After four minutes immediately remove them and place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.

20121201-215203.jpg For directions on how to blanch the pearl onions see my entry on pickled beets.

Get an assembly line going for your jars. Put the dill, garlic, black peppercorns, mustard seed, red pepper flakes, and dried red chili in each jar. Then start working on your Tetris skills. Each jar needs asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts, mini sweet peppers, and pearl onions.

20121201-215610.jpg I found it easiest to stack the very vertical beans and asparagus against one side of the jar and then fill up the remaining space with the oddly shaped items. The onions and garlic fill the little recesses left over. Try to get a fairly even mix of vegetables in there so that the last person to the jar isn’t stuck with four green beans and a half of a brussels sprout.

20121201-215747.jpg

20121201-215758.jpg

20121201-215813.jpg Follow the directions from the dilly bean recipe to make your brine. Pour your hot brine over the vegetables. Add your clean lid, clean ring, finger tighten it, and place into a water-bath canner.

20121201-220011.jpg
Process for 10 minutes. Once the time is up remove the jars carefully and set them on a tea towel or cutting board where they can have a chance to cool slowly and undisturbed.

20121201-220102.jpg And there you have it. First off, these are some of the coolest looking jars that I’ve ever made. Second I think they’ll do well as gifts or as favors to the host or hostess of a holiday party that you are attending. Since they are pickles remember to make them three weeks ahead of the date that you need them so they have time to brine. Also my peppers are desperately trying to float to the top. I found out afterward that to avoid this you can take a small knife and cut one or two slits and each pepper. This will allow the air to escape and the pepper will suspend in the liquid.

Set this jar out with some picks and a bowl of olives and your guests have their choice of what to place on their Bloody Mary. Alternatively this would also make a good accompaniment to a cheese or antipasto platter.

Do you have a different combination of pickled vegetables you enjoy? What are your favorite Bloody Mary toppers? Let me know.

Happy canning.

About these ads

28 Responses to “The Holy Trinity Of Bloody Mary Toppers”

1. 1 Beth Richards December 2, 2012 at 6:13 am

We pickle the brussel sprouts and call them frog balls, people love the name and of course they are very good! Okra would be a good addition to your blody mary toppers! Love your idea and will do some next summer. Love your site!

2. 2 DebBlee December 3, 2012 at 8:02 pm

great idea! looks SO delicious – sure would make for an AMAZING antipasto =D

3. 3 Jimmie Tinius December 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Somehow I never saw this side of you when you were sliding down the home made water slide at Yonah View.Aunt Jimmie and Uncle Richard

4. 5 Lisa January 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Do you blanch the asparagus, green beans, or mini sweet peppers? I’ve pickled green beans and asparagus but I always blanch them first and then shock them in ice water. Many years ago I read that blanching stops the growing process and inhibits bacterial growth. Also, can you add whole button mushrooms to this mix?

• 6 masonjarsandmixingbowls January 22, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I don’t blanch the beans or asparagus because I want them to stay crispy. I made over 110lbs of Dilly Beans this year and don’t blanch any of them. The Brussels sprouts need to be softened up a bit.

Mushrooms should be okay since this is a high acid brine. Please know that it is never safe to can mushrooms in a water bath unless they are pickled.

5. 7 Lisa January 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

This is good information to know. How about the sweet peppers, do you blanch them? And if I do add mushrooms, should I blanch them first?

6. 9 Lisa January 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Ok, I’m gonna try this this spring when the asparagus and beans are fresh. One more question – you said the only thing big enough to require blanching but your instructions include a link to blanching the pearl onions. Is this just to get the skins removed before canning?

7. 13 kaymac13 May 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

Reblogged this on Legacy of Pretty and commented:
    I have got to try this…all of my favorite things in one. I would eat this by itself

8. 14 Andrea August 9, 2014 at 9:57 am

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I have been looking online for days for someone who has done this because no one in my local area has ever put together a pickled medley like this. My plan is to make bloody mary baskets for Yule gifts. We are going to distill our own vodka and I’ll make up some yummy tomato-y goodness for the mix, add some pretty sticks and straws and voila! From the info here I can derive exactly the process I need to make this part of this project work :)

9. 15 apple moving and storage naples fl September 8, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Call a local community college and make an appointment with an advisor, find out if
    you qualify for financial aid, talk to them about career options.
    ” The easy answer to that difficult and (often) emotionally charged issue is that you need to determine how much stuff you will really need to take along to your new home. People love to relocate to this place, as there are ample of opportunities for a person in Virginia.

10. 16 buy boutique dresses wholesale September 11, 2014 at 1:01 am

At the recent BAFTA Awards, Jessica walked the red carpet in a
    strapless royal blue Roland Mouret gown with a structured,
    asymmetrical bodice, which she paired with Jimmy Choo heels and blue Harry Winston jewels.

You could match your wedding gown and aroma with a a lot of flattering minimize of purple colours dresses in your bridesmaids.
    If you are confident, bodycon clothing can look absolutely amazing.

11. 17 deck ideas for above ground pools September 14, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Islamorada tarpon fishing involves the fishing
    of an prehistoric rare fish tarpon through the scientific
    name Magalops Atlanticus which is a prehistoric fish considered to be one in every of the diverse & interesting creatures across the country which can be present
    in both side of Atlantic also referred to as
    as the tarpum tarpon or else the silver king due to it’s majestic appearance &
    colour which lays 15 million eggs. (AND “FLAVOUR, FEEDING TRIGGERS AND CHEMORECEPTION SECRETS”)
    SEE:. You will catch red fish, spotted sea trout, pompano, snook, mangrove snapper, Spanish mackerel,
    small black-tip sharks, small bonnet sharks, sheephead & in cooler weather the odd king mackerel.

12. 18 Deck Plans Norwegian Getaway September 15, 2014 at 8:34 pm

It is a very strong line, but it is also very sensitive, making it a
    great line when fishing for trout. Be sure to go with fresh bait, and stay away from the baits that are based on chicken or cat food.

The exception to this rule is when fishing structure, there will always be a calm spot behind structure that
    cat fish rest in and it will be natural for your bait
    to settle in this area.

13. 19 cocoa beach marketing website September 20, 2014 at 12:59 am

The demands of the more mainstream content, such as Facebook and blogging, can leave little time for these extras, and it’s important not to become so buried in online activities that you
    steal time away from your core business. If you are able to examine and master new trends, it will be easy to
    keep your target audience informed and glued to your site.
    Stick with the one that seems to have the greatest response.

14. 20 sound beach marketing partners September 20, 2014 at 4:37 am

The process of implementing a social media campaign can be daunting.
    You need to know which ones can rank, and what the competition is like for each one.
    After so much spent or so many visits, offer a free product or percent off.

15. 21 dock tool box organizer tray September 26, 2014 at 7:58 am

You don’t want to linger until the last minute to make your plan so I would recommend reading the waterway guidebook in advance.
    Nowadays, these super coolers are used for both commercial and domestic purpose.
    If you are a foreigner unlikely to return if allowed
    to leave, you will not be able to post a bond.

16. 22 weight loss supplement hcg September 27, 2014 at 12:59 am

One particular weight loss diet that has just lately
    seen a come-back of interest is h – CG weight loss options.

I used to wonder incessantly about Paleo diet weight loss method.
    It works by triggering the pituitary gland to release more of the hormones FSH and LH, which in turn stimulate the growth
    of an ovarian follicle which contains an egg.

17. 23 ultimate weight loss hcg September 27, 2014 at 9:16 am

Go through Slendertone review and you’re going to get to know more magical facts concerning this improbable product.
    Additionally, your fat reserves are now being used up. The most popular influence of technology
    on health is weight loss.

18. 24 Dunnage conservative Box braids hairstyles pictures September 27, 2014 at 6:27 pm

However, whatever ready made bait you favour, it is a fact that you can create
    even more potent baits using a totally new level of knowledge and the reasons for you being
    able to defeat any ready made bait are endless. Keep in mind
    the Cooper Mountain resort design their activities.
    So, you will be guided accordingly and will learn better and faster.

19. 25 used fiberglass dock box craigslist October 7, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Essential is a good set of insulated waders as well as a hooded, waterproof
    coat to wear over your clothing and waders. At times, your sailing instructor may need to issue an order and
    have it followed immediately. Some day you will have to divide your worms and start a new farm because of their rapid
    reproduction rate.

20. 26 Best Trout lures October 10, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I have fun with, lead to I discovered exactlyy what I used to be taking a look for.
    You’ve ended my four day lenngthy hunt! God Bless you
    man. Have a nice day. Bye

1. 1 see this: natural acne treatment Trackback on September 17, 2014 at 6:13 am
  2. 2 all natural skin care products Trackback on September 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm