Finally, my time to Shine

Everyone loves mason jars. Everyone. And they’re popping up all over the place. Now, seeing as how I’m one of the biggest mason jar fans in the country, people send me stuff about jars when they see it. Something I’ve been sent a lot is “Moonshine” in mason jars. Apple pie, blackberry, cherry, etc. Now we all know that they aren’t actually moonshine, as they are lawfully produced and sold in the US, under the watchful eye of the ATF. But…I bet they are tasty.

So that brings us to this idea. I started looking and asking around for recipe ideas. Most of what I saw said 1 gallon of apple juice, one gallon of cider, various aromatics, and a bottle of Everclear. Now, if you take 256 ounces of non alcohol, and add 25 ounces of alcohol, you end up with a product that is 9.7% alcohol by volume (19 proof). I’m pretty sure they make Porters stronger than that. That wouldn’t do.

See, I’m leaving shortly on a 12 day Mule Deer hunt in a forest that is dropping well below freezing every night. I need something that will keep me warm. Either by consumption or ignition. It’s moonshine for god’s sake. Not a White Zinfandel. It should burn the hair off the chest of those who have hair, and grow hair on the chest of those who have none. So I decided I’d create my own.

20131026-021628.jpgGraham’s Apple Pie Moonshine

1 – 750ml bottle of Everclear 190 proof Grain Alcohol
1 pint Apple Juice
1 pint Apple Cider
1/4 C Brown Sugar
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Nutmeg…uh, Nuts?
1/2 Apple (variety your choice)

Toss the brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, and nutmegs (still super confused at to what to call these) in a pot.

20131026-022044.jpg
Measure out two cups (1 pint) of the juice and cider. Who needs measuring cups, right?

20131026-022126.jpg
Add the liquids to the pot and stir to dissolve the sugar. Heat. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

20131026-022236.jpg
Now, why didn’t we add the Everclear? Two reasons. 1st off it evaporates at like 188 degrees. If you boiled the cider and Everclear for 20 minutes you’d be left with a hard cider, not moonshine. The 2nd is that Everclear is no joke. This stuff is basically pure alcohol at 190 proof.

20131026-022542.jpgIf you have a gas stove and you off vapor enough Everclear you could start a fire. So keep the booze on the counter and the cider in the stove.

After 20 minutes turn off the heat. Using a canning funnel and ladle. (Seriously, you could put the stuff in anything. From a decorative bottle to a Tupperware container. But I love mason jars, so it’s going in a mason jar.) Catch one cinnamon stick and one nutmeg and drop them in one quart sized jar. Grab the others and drop them in the 2nd jar. Then try to get one pint of cider mixture in each jar. Eye balling is ok. Remember to set your mason jars on a towel or wooden cutting board. Cold countertops, especially Granite ones, can cause the jars to shatter once hot liquid is added to the cold jars.

20131026-023122.jpgLet the mixture cool at least 20 more minutes. The longer the better. Then add the bottle of Everclear, divided between the two quarts. Slice your apple in to….slices. (Don’t like the sound of that sentence.) Drop 2-4 slices in each jar. I used Honeycrisp, because they are the undisputed champions of apples. But you could use Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, whatever.

20131026-023658.jpgSo before you put that lid on, lets talk some science real quick. Let’s just say you decided not to let the cider cool. You just added the Everclear into the hot jar of cider. Then you toss your lid on, secured down with a ring, and walk away. What’s going to happen? As we discussed earlier Everclear evaporates at a relatively low temperature. Which means that alcohol is turning into vapor and that vapor is beginning to take up space. What happens when there is more vapor than space? Big Badda Boom. Now I’m not saying that your jar is going to explode. But I’m also not not saying that. However it’s very likely that the weak aluminum lid comes flying off the top with great force.

So if you don’t have the time to wait for whatever reason do the following. Fill your sink with the hottest water that your faucet will muster. Lower your jars into the sink. Start turning the faucet from hot to warm as you let some water drain out of the sink. Then turn your faucet from warm to cool, and then cool to cold as you continue to let the water slowly drain from the sink. Do this until your jars are cool. The transition has to be slow or your jars will shatter. Ok, back to the fun.

I like to mark my jars so the kids don’t think it’s a treat they can snack on.

20131026-024350.jpg Let’s do the math on this shine real quick. 2 pints of juice and cider is 32 ounces. 750 mL of Everclear are 25 ounces. Added together that’s 57 ounces. If 25 of those ounces are alcohol what proof is this? 43.86% or 88 Proof. Now THAT’s a lot closer to real shine.

This stuff only gets better with time. And no need to worry about processing. No bacteria can grow in this high of an alcohol content. In future batches I’m thinking about withholding 1/2 cup of apple juice and adding 1/2 cup of Fireball Whisky instead for an additional cinnamon kick.

I plan on using this to Irish up my hot apple cider around the campfire, as well as keeping a flask on me for those dusk and dawn hunting hikes up north.

If you have a shine recipe feel free to share or link it in the comments.

Happy canning!

About these ads

16 Responses to “Finally, my time to Shine”

1. 1 KimH October 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Yum!! Is this a recipe you’ve used before? Im just wondering if that nutmeg might make it bitter.. I’ve got 2 bottles of Everclear just waiting for a good recipe to use it in.. I think this is one I must do.. This week!

• 2 masonjarsandmixingbowls October 28, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I haven’t tried it yet but I’m cracking open one of the courts on Wednesday. I’ll definitely come back and update the results. If the nutmeg made it better I’ll pull it out of the other one immediately. I just wanted something more than cinnamon for that real apple pie flavor.

2. 4 denise and sandy November 2, 2013 at 5:33 am

enjoy your shine and your trip!

3. 5 pattyjo2002 January 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Can this be made with oranges or tangerines in place of apples? And if so bout how many oranges or tangerines would ya use in place of the apples? Thanks!

4. 6 jj January 19, 2014 at 10:24 am

I’ve never done ‘shine, but I love making flavored vodkas with summer fruit like raspberries and peaches. The vodka makes great cocktails, and the boozy fruit is a fabulous ice cream topper!

5. 7 Edi March 29, 2014 at 10:56 pm

It’s not Apple Pie moonshine unless you use some real Moonshine instead of Everclear 😜

6. 10 Ashlee April 10, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Made this recipe last night and it was so easy. Altered it a bit from the original, kept the same amount of sugar, spices and juices, doubled the amount and made 8 pint size jars. Filled each jar half way with juice and the other half I split 50/50 with everclear and vanilla vodka. Very tasty!

7. 11 laser light therapy for hair growth September 9, 2014 at 9:24 pm

For some women, losing hair is a symptom of a medical problem.
    Blow drying can damage hair as can vigorous towel drying as when the hair
    is wet it is more elastic and vulnerable to breakage.
    The best secrets to great health is in quality, not quantity.

8. 12 best moving companies nyc reviews September 22, 2014 at 5:09 pm

These boxes are specially designed for shipping clothes, framed artwork and perilous materials.

Compile Local Menus – We all have our favorite local restaurants
    that took us months to find and fall in love with.
    No trip to Miami would be complete without a shopping
    trip, and there’s no shortage of options, with shopping areas catering for every style and budget.
    The Avaya Nortel customer may also gain access to technical documentation, have the
    ability to log a case, and have a status view of outstanding
    RMAs. Women go for many alternatives so that she can wear high heels comfortably for longer
    hours without getting tired. People are advised to invest time to shop around different
    hardware stores. Data storage is expensive on such a large scale and has a direct relationship to costs associated
    with risk management, especially for companies that are exposed
    to litigation or government regulation. Those who sleep on their backs need to have the support so that their spine is not pulled out
    of alignment during their sleeping. You just need to cash back in some
    areas where one needs to switch. Time zones, office locations,
    will no longer be a deciding factor in the claims handling process.

9. 13 pink bandage dress amazon September 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm

And if you ever were to wear these separately, everybody would see your bra.
    Firstly, you have access to millions of online stores worldwide at the
    click of a button. If you have eyeglasses that could do these items,
    it’s surely no surprise they’re liked by VIPs.

10. 14 motivational apps for iphone September 24, 2014 at 3:36 pm

To keep you in the most comfortable and peaceful state of mind possible,
    Dr. This is the reason why studies and techniques have been created to deliver the
    best natural-looking results. If nothing else, it is more “beach and tan” culture
    than the West LA So many people seeking cosmetic surgery and there are many thousands of them who can afford it.

11. 15 healthy ways to lose weight September 25, 2014 at 12:33 pm

However, HCG is most active when women become pregnant.
    Just because HCG drops cost more does not mean that they are better than the more reasonably priced product that can be as much as
    half the cost. You can also select between the regular and the silver plan.

12. 16 Laura October 26, 2014 at 6:12 pm

does this need to be refridgerated?